About this time a young man named Glenn Thompson came to town as a teacher. He proved himself an energetic and influential fellow and played an important part in the history of Glennville. Being interested in the affairs of the community, he suggested to the people the importance of having a post office. He accepted leadership in this matter and took it up with the Post Office Department. His request was granted and the Glennville Post Office opened on July 15, 1889. A name had to be selected, so to show their appreciation for his efforts, the people decided to call it Glennville. Glenn Thompson was named postmaster. There were already post offices named Philadelphia, Thomasville, etc., so the name of Glennville was chosen. The U.S. Government wouldn’t allow two of the same name. Prior to the establishment of the post office, the people received their mail at Matlock, 2 ½ miles from town. The mail was brought to Matlock from Lumber City and Johnston Station (now Ludowici). In those days when the nearest railroad was many miles away, and the ways of travel and road conditions made distance a reality, it required an entire week for the man on horseback to make the round trip from Johnston Station to Lumber City.

The first rural routes established at this office were created in 1905, with Luther L. Knight and W.H. (Bub) DeLoach as carriers. They traveled by horse and buggy, although often the streams were swollen so the routes were impassable in some places. Today we have four routes emanating from the office and nearly every mile is paved.

Circa 1892, the Methodist Church was organized with Rev. E.A. Sanders serving as pastor. In 1899, the Free Will Baptist Church was organized. In October 1922, the Christian Church was organized. Other denominations also have churches here. The Primitive Baptist denomination has two strong and very active churches, Beards Creek and Loves Chapel, adjacent to the city. Many of the leading citizens of the town are members of these churches and have played a great part in the building of the town.

< Back